Greetings and thanks for checking out my writenings.
I’m a strategy director and reformed magazine publisher from Sydney who relocated to New York in 2011.
I’m currently helping companies work themselves out at Mighty Jungle.
I’ve been making content for the Internet since around 1997. I write about strategy, account planning, the changing nature of advertising, creativity and ideas, as well as manhood and fatherhood. Preferably, starting with the last two. Hence, Life. Then strategy – it keeps me in perspective.
Try these perspectives on for size:
- Finding beauty in watching a loved one die
- Why some men are so lost
- How to do account planning – a simple approach
- How to explain an idea: a mega post
- Why the world doesn’t need another digital strategist
I’ve written for over 60 magazines (including a 5-year weekly column in 3D World, Vice Magazine, Adnews, B&T), hosted a radio show on 2SER (The Mothership Connection), sub-edited a music book (Behind the Beat), and crowd-sourced a man book with Gavin Heaton (The Perfect Gift for a Man). I’ve worked in places like Big Spaceship, Saatchi & Saatchi New York, TribalDDB, MassMedia, Ogilvy, Leo Burnett and McCann. I also founded the first full color hip hop magazine with global distribution in the Southern Hemisphere – Stealth Magazine. Add me on LinkedIn if you like.
Accolades and achievements
1. Gold at the Account Planning Group Creative Planning Awards in 2008 for the McDonald’s NameIt Burger strategy
2. Listed in Sydney’s Top 100 Creative Catalysts 2009
3. Listed in Adnews Top 40 under 40 2009
4. I was on the Account Planning Group and ad:tech Social Media committees in Australia
5. Top rated non-keynote speaker at ADMA Forum 2009
6. Top 20 Australian Marketing Blog
7. TEDx Hackensack speaker
8. An Agency Innovator in 2014 via The Internationalist for work at Big Spaceship
I speak and present
I’ve spoken or taught at TEDx (Hacksensack), WebExpo in Prague, DMA 2012 (Las Vegas), eat:Strategy (Toronto), Miami Ad School, Ignite, Skillshare, Digital Hollywood New York, Ad:tech, the Aussie Bloggers Conference, ADMA’s digital marketing course, ADMA Forum, the Marketing 2.0 conference, the NSW Knowledge Management Forum, universities, design schools and a bunch of other events.
If there’s anything on this website that you’d like me to talk to an audience about, all you need to do is ask.
If you want something that’s ready and packaged, you can read some of my presentations.
If you’d like to contact me
P.S. Blame Julian Cole